You may have seen a lot of advertisements for places that buy gold and diamonds, but not that many for locations where you can sell silver. However, businesses like The Gold Standard buy silver on a regular basis. This includes silver jewelry, bars and flatware, but also items that you may not immediately think of – silver coins.
From the Coinage Act of 1792 until 1965, the U.S. Mint used silver in a variety of coins in different proportions. Examples include, but aren’t limited to:
- (1916 – 1945) Mercury Dimes – 90% Silver, 10% Copper
- (1946 – 1964) Roosevelt Dimes – 90% Silver, 10% Copper
- (1916 – 1930) Standing Liberty Quarters – 90% Silver, 10% Copper
- (1932 – 1964) The Washington Silver Quarter – 90% Silver, 10% Copper
- (1948 – 1963) Franklin Half – varies
- (1964) Kennedy Silver Half-Dollar – 90% Silver, 10% Copper
- (1878 – 1921) Morgan Dollars – 90% Silver, 10% Copper
- (1921 – 1935) Peace Dollars – 90% Silver, 10% Copper
As for dollars, one of rarest and most well-known coins in the world is the 1804 Silver Dollar. It is 90% silver and has the world record auction price for a coin – $4.14 million! Interestingly enough, none of these coins were actually made until 1834 and weren’t meant to be put into circulation. They were meant to be part of two coin sets that the United States gifted to the King of Siam (modern Thailand) and the Imam of Muscat (Coinfacts.com).
Whatever the specific coin may be, you can sell silver coins to The Gold Standard in denominations of dimes, quarters, half-dollars and dollars, as long as they are dated 1964 or earlier. Their worth may be assessed with different methods, but you can rest assured that you will get a great price for all of your silver items!
We also buy silver rings, silver watches, silver bars, and other assorted silver jewelry items! We’re the one stop shop for buying and selling silver in NY and across the country, so don’t delay – find out how much your secret silver fortune is worth today!
Image Courtesy Legend Numismatics